Misawa Air Base   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

News > How do I sign up for Space-Available Travel?
How do I sign up for Space-Available Travel?

Posted 5/16/2011   Updated 5/16/2011 Email story   Print story


by Master Sgt. Kenneth Morain
730th Air Mobility Squadron

5/16/2011 - YOKOTA AIR BASE, Japan -- Want to fly to a beautiful island in the Pacific or anywhere in the world where Space-Available Travel is an option, but you're not sure how to do it? Air Mobility Command can help. AMC passenger terminals can offer a couple of ways to sign up for your desired destination.

Before we can sign you up, you must first be eligible for travel. If you are active duty, this means you must be on leave or pass. If you are a dependent or retiree, you can sign up at any time!

If you like the personal touch, swing by your nearest AMC passenger terminal to register for space-available travel. If you are active duty, you'll need your military ID card and leave form. If your commander approves you for Environmental Morale Leave, take advantage of it because you'll move up to Travel Category II.

Passengers are selected for travel on a first-come basis within a six-category system, resulting in a fair and balanced process. For a brief listing of eligible passengers by category, visit the following website:http://www.amc.af.mil/amctravel/spaceatravelcategories.asp. A complete listing of eligible passengers by category is contained in DoD 4515.13-R.

Although dependents don't need to be present at the time of sign-up, sponsors need to bring their travel documents, i.e. passports. If you are a dependent traveling without your sponsor, bring your ID card along with your supporting documentation to include passports, command-sponsorship letter and EML letter. Retirees need their ID card and passport, if applicable, for the countries they are traveling to.

To sign up on-line, go to www.amc.af.mil/amctravel, find "Registration," and click on the link for "fax or mail your request." This process will ensure you provide us the information we need to facilitate your travel plans.

When signing up, you are able to mark five country choices. Use this technique in your favor as it is a great tool to use if you cannot fly directly to your desired location, but want to get a little closer to save on airfare or visit a friend along the way. By signing up for choices such as Korea, Japan, Alaska, Hawaii and the United States, you are eligible for any flight going in the direction you desire. Yes, we treat Alaska and Hawaii as country choices too!

We suggest no matter what means you use to sign up, give your local AMC terminal a call to verify we have received your information or print out your confirmation email. If you're at the terminal, check to see if your name is on our Space-Available standby register.

Once signed up, terminals will keep you on the space available register for up to 60 days, unless you depart on a flight from that terminal or your leave expires.
If you have any comments, questions or ideas for other articles, e-mail us at pacific.traveler@yokota.af.mil.

5/17/2011 11:20:14 PM ET
The Patriot Express is a great option for getting back to the states if your travel is flexible however if travel are not flexible is doesn't always provide as a reliable option. Misawa ITT discontinued their weekly bus tickets to Yokota when the Patriot Express began to run from Misawa to Yokota. I was wondering ifwhen will get back this option. With the Yen rate being so low it costs around 400person for a roundtrip 1 hour flight which is pretty extreme when still have to pay for the ticket from Tokyo to the states
Ben, Misawa
Add a comment

 Inside Misawa

ima cornerSearch

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act