Colonel David L. McCleese is the Commander of the 35th Mission Support Group, Misawa Air Base, Japan. He is responsible for leading the 35th Mission Support Group which consists of six diverse squadrons with more than 1,800 personnel. The Mission Support Group is responsible to the 35th Fighter Wing and associate units to safeguard and maintain the Misawa Air Base infrastructure. The group's operations comprise of expeditionary combat/mission readiness with facility/airfield maintenance, personnel/administrative support, installation/resource security, contracting, transportation, supply and logistics planning, chemical and explosive defense, communications and computer systems, and the Quality of Life programs.
Colonel McCleese was raised in Kentucky. He entered the U.S. Navy in 1987 and served for three years on active duty then six years in the Naval Reserve. He earned his commission through Air Force Officer Training School in 1996. Prior to his current position, Colonel McCleese was Director, Logistics, Engineering & Force Protection, 5 AF, Yokota Air Base, Japan.
His deployments include Operations DESERT STORM, DESERT SHIELD, IRAQI FREEDOM, INHERENT RESOLVE, SPARTAN SHIELD, FREEDOM SENTINEL, and DELIBERATE RESOLVE.
1996 Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Ky.
2001 Masters of Science in Engineering/Environmental Management, Air Force Institute of Technology Dayton, OH 2002 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Army Command and General Staff College, Ft Leavenworth, Kan.
2010 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2013Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. December 1987 – January 1990, Gas Turbine Systems Tech (E-5), USS Fife, Yokosuka, Japan
2. February 1990 – May 1996, GSM 1 (E-6), USS Antietam, NAVRESCEN, Lexington, Ky.
3. October 1996 – September 1999, Base Level Engineer, 374 CES, Yokota AB, Japan
4. June 1999 – February 2001, Graduate Student, AF Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. March 2001 – September 2003, Base Level Engineer, 15 Civil Engineering Squadron, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
6. May 2001 – August 2001, Chief, Engineering & Construction Flight, 320th Civil Engineering Squadron, Eskan Village, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
May 2003 – July 2004, Wing Executive Officer, 15 AW, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
7. August 2004 – July 2006, Budget Analyst, Office of the AF Civil Engineer, Pentagon, Va.
8. January 2005 – May 2005, Reconstruction Project and Program Manager, Multi-National Force-Iraq, Baghdad, Iraq
9. August 2006 – July 2008, Commander Operations Flight, 51 CES, Osan AFB, S. Korea
10. August 2008 – June 2009, Army Command and General Staff College, Ft Leavenworth, Kan.
11. July 2009 – July 2011, Ops Officer, Assistant Chief of Staff Engineer, USFK, Yongsan, S. Korea
12. August 2011 – June 2012, Chief Construction Division, Assist Chief of Staff Engineer, USFK, Yongsan, S. Korea
13. June 2012 – June 2014, Commander, 773 Civil Engineering Squadron, Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska
14. June 2014 – July 2017, Commander, 374 Civil Engineering Squadron, Yokota Air Base, Japan
15. July 2017 – June 2018, Vice Commandant, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
16. June 2018 – June 2019, Commander, 386th Expeditionary MSG, Ali Al Salem AB, Kuwait
17. July 2019 – June 2021, Director, Log, Engineering & Force Protection, 5 AF, Yokota Air Base, Japan
18. June 2021 – Present, Commander, 35th Mission Support Group, Misawa Air Base, Japan
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2009 – July 2011, Ops Officer, Asst. Chief of Staff Engineer, USFK, Yongsan, S. Korea, as a Major
2. August 2011 – June 2012, Chief Construction Division, Assistant Chief of Staff Engineer, USFK, Yongsan, S. Korea, as a lieutenant colonel
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Navy Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Naval Reserve Meritorious Service Medal
Defense Cooperation Award 2nd Class
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant October 1, 1996
First Lieutenant October 1, 1998
Captain October 1, 2000
Major August 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel November 1, 2011
Colonel February 1, 2018
(Current as of July 2021)