Vehicle and license information

Only vehicles manufactured 35 or more years ago are authorized to be shipped from the U.S. to Misawa.

It is not advisable to ship a car to Misawa for several reasons - high cost of extensive modifications needed to meet Japanese emission controls ($1,000 or more), lack of replacement parts, and the steering wheel on the "wrong" side of the vehicle can make driving hazardous. Vehicles may need to be converted back to original condition prior to shipping back to the U.S. for conformance with EPA/DOT standards.

Reliable transportation can be easily obtained, either on-base or off-base, ranging from $1,000-$5,000.

You may ship a motorcycle to Japan in your HHG shipment if they meet the emission and brake laws. For return shipment to the U.S., you must show proof of shipment from the U.S. (use of inventory is valid). Motorcycles (50cc or more) must meet EPA/DOT requirements or your shipment will be held by U.S. Customs at the port of entry.

To obtain a Japanese driver's license; you must have a current and valid stateside license, Military ID and a copy of orders, as well as take a written test. Japan uses international road signs, which are a little different than the states. We also drive on the "wrong" side of the road, which takes a little getting used to.

Driver's training is offered to new personnel every Tuesday from 9 to 11 a.m. in the Educations Center, building 653, room 219. Driver's licenses will be issued at that time to everyone except active duty personnel ages 25 and under. Those personnel will receive their licenses from their first sergeant.