Misawa Rules for Pets

  1. You may only have two pets in government housing. This does not include animals that permanently reside in cages or tanks (e.g., hamsters, turtles, etc.).
  2. If you wish to have a pet other than a cat, dog, gerbil, hamster, guinea pig, white mouse, rabbit, fish, turtle, passerine bird (perching birds and song birds), or psittacine bird (parrots), you must submit a written request to the base veterinarian for consideration before acceptance to housing.
  3. Pets outside quarters must be under hand-held leash control, inside a fenced yard, or on an in-ground anchor with the pet owner present and in control of the pet. If you have a dog that barks excessively causing neighborhood disturbance, you must immediately quiet the animal.
  4. Pets are not allowed in public buildings, swimming pools, sports areas, tennis courts, parade grounds, playgrounds, ball fields, basketball courts, beaches, public gatherings, or the golf course unless approved by the base veterinarian.
  5. You must immediately remove and properly dispose of waste deposits (feces) while walking your animal(s). Failure to do so may result in the removal of the animal from base and/or loss of housing privileges. All deposits or litter let in pens caused by your pet(s) must be removed and properly disposed of daily.
  6. Pet owners must report lost, deceased, and/or new pets to the base Veterinary Treatment Facility within 24 hours.
  7. Should your pet escape from your control, you should contact the Veterinary Clinic. If your animal is apprehended by security forces, civil engineering, or veterinary services you will be cited. If cited more than twice in a 12-month period, you may be required to remove the animal from base.
  8. If you are transferring from Misawa and cannot or do not want to take your pet(s), you must find a new owner before moving or releasing custody of the animal(s). The pet's medical treatment record must be transferred into the name of the new owner while both parties are present at the veterinary treatment facility.
  9. If a pet escapes before moving, the veterinary clinic must be notified and given a forwarding address, telephone number, and local person for point of contact. A special power of attorney must be granted to someone to provide for shipment of the pet upon capture. The owner is responsible for all shipping costs incurred by the person granted power of attorney. Failure to comply with the prevention of animal abandonment can result in administrative action against the sponsor.
  10. The breeding of pets for profit is strictly prohibited in military family housing. 

Traveling with pets