Maj. Josiah D. Gaffney is the Pacific Air Forces F-16 Demonstration Team commander and Demonstration Pilot. In this position, Maj Gaffney leads a team that performs F-16 aerial capability demonstrations at airshows across the Pacific area of responsibility, performing live in front of more than one million spectators annually and supporting U.S. Air Force strategic engagement efforts in the region. Major Gaffney also serves as an F-16 instructor pilot assigned to the 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa Air Base, Japan.
Maj. Gaffney was commissioned as a second lieutenant in 2009 from the United States Air Force Academy. He then completed graduate studies at the University of Maryland prior to attending pilot training at Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas. Following initial F-16 training, Maj Gaffney was assigned to Hill Air Force Base, Utah for operational flying duty. He has flown with the Demonstration Team, based at Misawa Air Base, since March 2020.In 2014, Maj Gaffney deployed to Afghanistan, flying combat missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Freedom's Sentinel. He is a senior pilot with more than 1400 flying hours in the F-16, T-38, and T-6, including 299 combat hours. Prior to his current assignment, Maj Gaffney was a flight commander in the 56th Operations Support Squadron at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz.
2009 Bachelor of Science, Political Science, United States Air Force Academy
2011 Master of Public Policy, University of Maryland
2015 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1. August 2009 – May 2011, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, University of Maryland, College Park, Md.
2. June 2011 – March 2013, Student Pilot, EURO-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
3. April 2013 – December 2013, Student Pilot, F-16 Basic Course, Tucson Air National Guard, Ariz.
4. January 2014 – October 2016, Chief of Mobility/Ops Flight Commander/F-16 Flight Lead, Hill AFB, Utah
5. October 2016 – December 2019, Current Operations Flight Commander/F-16 Instructor, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. January 2020 – Present, PACAF F-16 Demonstration Pilot/F-16 Instructor, Misawa Air Base, Japan
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 27, 2009
First Lieutenant May 27, 2011
Captain May 27, 2013
Major December 1, 2018
Rating: Senior Pilot
Combat Hours: 299
Flight Hours: 1400
Aircraft Flown: F-16, T-38, T-6