Colonel Timothy B. Murphy is the Vice Commander, 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa Air Base, Japan. The fighter wing is composed of nearly 3,100 personnel with an annual facilities, operations and maintenance budget of more than $165 million. The base supports eight associate units from three U.S. military services (Air Force, Army, and Navy) and the Japan Air Self-Defense Force.
Colonel Murphy received his commission in 2001 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He is a career F-16 pilot with experience in Air Combat Command, Pacific Command, United States Air Forces Europe and NATO. His combat experience includes Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and INHERENT RESOLVE. Col. Murphy has held various squadron and wing level positions to include Chief of Safety, 31st Fighter Wing and Commander, 480th Fighter Squadron. His staff tours include the CJCS AFPAK Hands Program, Headquarters Air Force, and United States Space Command.
2001 Bachelor of Science in History, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado.
2003 Euro/NATO Joint Pilot Training (ENJPT), Sheppard AFB, Texas.
2008 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Alabama.
2008 Masters of Art in International Relations, Troy University, Alabama.
2012 Masters of Art in International Security Studies, CISA, National Defense University, Washington D.C.
2013 Air War College (in correspondence), Maxwell AFB, AL.
2014 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Norfolk, Virginia.
2018 National Security Affairs Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University, California.
1. December 2001 – February 2003, Student, ENJPT, Sheppard AFB, Texas.
2. June 2003 – March 2004, Student, F-16 Replacement Training Unit, Luke AFB, Arizona.
3. April 2004 – November 2006, Scheduler / Squadron ECP, 77th FS, Shaw AFB, South Carolina.
4. December 2006 – November 2007, Wing ECP / Flight CC, 35th FS, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea.
5. December 2007 – July 2010, Flight Commander / OGV, 309th FS, Luke AFB, Arizona.
6. July 2010 – July 2011, AFPAK Hand / Reintegration Officer, Kandahar/Zabul, Afghanistan.
7. July 2011 – May 2012, Student, College of International Security Affairs, National Defense Univ, D.C.
8. May 2012 – March 2013, Irregular Warfare (A3O-Q) Strategy Branch Chief, HQ Air Force, Pentagon, VA.
9. March 2013 – December 2013, Chief of Reintegration, Regional Command North, Afghanistan.
10. August 2014 – May 2015, Chief of Safety, 31st Fighter Wing, Aviano AB, Italy.
11. May 2015 – December 2015, Director of Operations, 31 Operations Support Squadron, Aviano AB, Italy.
12. January 2015 – June 2017, Commander, 480th Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem AB, Germany.
13. June 2017 – June 2018, Deputy Commander, 52d Operations Group, Spangdahlem AB, Germany.
14. July 2018 – June 2019, National Security Affairs Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford Univ., California.
15. July 2019 – June 2020, Chief of Current Operations, U.S. Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colorado.
16. June 2020 – Present, Vice Commander, 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa AB, Japan.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2010 – July 2011, AFPAK Hand / Reintegration Officer, Kandahar/Zabul, Afghanistan.
2. March 2013 – December 2013, Chief of Reintegration, Regional Command North, Afghanistan.
3. July 2019 – June 2020, Chief of Current Operations, U.S. Space Command, Peterson AFB, Colorado.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,000
Combat hours: 409
Aircraft flown: F-16, T-38 and T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Readiness Medal
Inherent Resolve Campaign Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Korean Defense Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant – May 30, 2001
First Lieutenant – May 30, 2003
Captain – May 30, 2005
Major – January 1, 2011
Lieutenant Colonel – February 1, 2015
Colonel – March 1, 2019