Questions If your question relates specifically to Misawa Air Base, please see the questions below. If you have a question which is not addressed here, you may find the answer by visiting the Questions page of Pacific Air Forces, or the Questions page of Air Force Link. For general military questions, please refer to the Department of Defense's FAQs page.


Collapse All Expand All

Can you take pets on PE?
There are spots available for Misawa for pets in the cargo area that is temperature controlled and allotted spots in the main cabin. But these are only open for people who are PCSing and are there on a first come, first served basis.
Pet restrictions: The kennel must be approved by the International Air Transport Association. Soft sided and collapsible kennels are not allowed for pets to travel in the belly compartment of the aircraft. Small pets traveling in the main cabin can be transported in soft sided (constructed of leak proof and water-repellent padded nylon with mesh ventilation on two or more sides) as well as hard plastic kennels. In cabin, kennels must not exceed 20"Lx16"Wx8"H. All pets must be able to lie down, stand up, and turn around in the kennel using normal posture and body movements. Pets will not be accepted for travel in kennels that are too small.

Is there a list of Web sites of U.S. Air Force Bases?
Visit the alphabetical listing of U.S. Air Force Web Sites here.

How can I obtain information on Air Force Leaders?
The Air Force maintains a comprehensive list of active and retired General Officers, civilians, and Chief Master Sergeants of the Air Force. Visit the Air Force Link Leaders Web page here.

How can I find out more about Air Force Careers?
To get more information about careers, opportunities and benefits the Air Force has to offer, visit the U.S Air Force Recruiting Service Web site here.

Interested in becoming an Air Force Officer? There are several options available.

1. Obtain an appointment to the Air Force Academy
2. Join the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) in the college you attend.
3. Enlist in the Air Force after graduating from college and attend the Officer Training School (OTS) to win your Air Force commission.

To learn more about becoming an Air Force Pilot, visit the Air Force Academy Admissions Web site here or the Pilot Candidate Selection Method Web site here.

How do I find out about per diem rates, retirement pay, travel expenses, promotions, etc?
These questions can all best be answered by visiting the Military Personnel Flight at your base of assignment. Also, the Air Force Personnel Center Web site AFPC and the Defense Finance and Accounting Service Web site DFAS have much of this information available.

How can I contact a servicemember at Misawa AB?
We DO NOT release individual e-mail addresses under any circumstances. If you're trying to find out someone's e-mail address, you can only get it by contacting that person directly through one of the methods listed below.

We DO NOT provide forwarding service for your e-mails either. Again, you must contact your recipient directly to establish contact.

Air Force regulations prohibit the posting of base telephone books or e-mail directories on web sites. Instead, general interest phone numbers, e-mail addresses and points-of-contact are listed, where appropriate, on this web site.

For emergency contact with a servicemember:

In the event of a bonafide family emergency, military members can be quickly contacted through the services of the American Red Cross. Contact them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week toll free at (877)-272-7337. This number will put callers in touch with a Red Cross caseworker at one of the Armed Forces Service Centers.

To locate former Misawa, retired or separated Air Force members:

If you're trying to locate someone previously stationed here, or who has retired or separated from the Air Force, contact the Air Force Worldwide Locator Service.

The AF World Wide Locator handles official and unofficial requests to locate Air Force Personnel. Official requests are defined as requests received from any government agency and the Department of Defense (DoD). All other requests are considered unofficial in nature.

The AF World Wide Locator only has location information on individuals who are currently receiving compensation from the USAF (Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, Retired, and Civil Service Personnel). If the individual has separated from the AF, no information is available.


550 C St West Ste 50
Randolph AFB, TX 78150-4752


Monday-Friday (except Federal Holidays)
7:30 am - 4:30 pm (Central Standard Time)
COMMERCIAL: (210) 565-2660


The following information is required to make a positive identification:
Full name to include a middle initial, rank (officer/enlisted/GS)

Social Security Number or Air Force serial number

Date of birth or an Air Force duty history including the place, month and year of assignments after June 1970

No assignment information is available prior to June 1970.


DoD official requests may be handled over the phone, providing the requester gives their full name, rank, SSN, organization and purpose of the request. Failure to provide requested information will result in non-disclosure of requested information.

Federal or State Government agency requests for information must be in pursuant to the Privacy Act as stated in the United States Code 552(a)(7). The request must be in writing on official letterhead and signed by a Section Chief or higher.

Law enforcement agency requests must be in writing on the appropriate letterhead.


All unofficial requests must be in writing and fees may not be applicable.

Your request should state who you are looking for, your name, address and telephone number. Put this information in an unsealed envelope with a return address, proper postage affixed and the individual's name in the addressee portion of the envelope. Place this envelope in a larger envelope with your check or money order for $3.50 made payable to DAO-DE RAFB and mail to the Locator address given above. Your request constitutes consent to release of this information to the member.


A fee of $3.50, per individual request, is required from all personnel or businesses requesting addresses on military personnel. Requests must be in writing.

The World Wide Locator also provides a "Statement or Verification of Service". This applies to Active Duty Air Force personnel only. A fee of $5.20, per individual written request, is required.

Checks or money orders must be made payable to DAO-DE RAFB.

There is no fee for requesters that are either on active duty, serving in the guard or reserve, or individuals that are retired.

What are the most frequently called numbers on base?
DSN 315-226-XXXX

Air Force Aid Society 226-9316                                 
American Red Cross 226-3016                                
Auto skills Center 226-4654                                      
Bowling Center 616-3998                                           
Chaplain 226-4630                                                     
Commissary Manager 226-3823                             
Community Center 226-4128
Education Center 226-4201
Enlisted Club 616-1889
Facility Maintenance 226-3693
Family Day Care 226-2273
Family Services 226-3665
Family support center 226-4735
Finance/ Military Pay 226-9242 
HAWC 226-6653
Hospital Appointments 226-6111
Housing Maintenance 226-4663
Housing Manager 226-2394
Housing Office 226-3200
Law Enforcement Desk 226-3600
Library 226-4083
Main Exchange 616-6049
Military Clothing Sales 616-8709
Officers' Club 226-2016
Pass and Registration 226-3995
Teen Center 226-2170
35th Force Support Squadron 226-3008
Youth Center 226-3220 


I am a member of the media. Who do I contact for information and how do I attend events?
Members of the media should contact the 35th Fighter Wing Public Affairs Office by phone at 011-81-3117-66-3075 or by e-mail at with any queries or requests pertaining to 35th Fighter Wing events.

Is Misawa's food safe to eat?
The Japanese Department of Food Safety has been actively investigating the extent of potential radiation contamination in all affected prefectures and is committed to protecting the public from exposure. Our military health inspectors do not inspect food facilities off-base, but we work closely with Japanese Government officials and are monitoring events as they develop.

The Aomori Prefecture has been screening 51 locally produced items for radiation, and all tests have been negative. The following products from Aomori Prefecture present no health risk:
Meat: Beef
Grain: Rice Straw, Brown Rice, Paddy Rice, Wheat, Buckwheat, Irish Potato, Chinese Yam, Sweet Corn
Beans: Soybean, Green Soybean
Produce: Japanese Radish, Small Radish, Carrot, Burdock, Cabbage, Spinach, Broccoli, Lettuce, Green Onion, Tomatoes, Cucumber, Pumpkin, Apple, Garlic, Melon, Watermelon, Strawberry, Pear, Peach, Grapes, Cranberry, Plum, Mushroom, Cooking Chrysanthemum
Dairy Products: Milk, Eggs
Sea Food: Mackerel, Black Mackerel, Shark, Flatfish, Yellowtail, Tuna, Yellow Fin Tuna, Sagittated Calamari, Sea Urchin, Ear Shell, Ark Shell, Scallop, Sea Tangle

No food products - including beef - have been exported from Fukushima. All beef sold and all beef prepared for consumption on base is shipped to Misawa from the United States.

Any food alerts from US Army Veterinary Command (USA VETCOM) are communicated immediately to all bases once a threat is detected. According to Public Health, there have been no warnings regarding potentially contaminated beef in Aomori Prefecture.
Currently, neither the Government of Japan nor the US Government have issued any related cautions or bans.

Can family members ride the Patriot Express from the U.S. to come and visit a service member?
Family members who are eligible IAW DOD 4515.13R Travel Eligibility can utilized the PE and travel space-available, both Japanese and Military customs officials are here at Misawa AB on Monday and Tuesday to perform customs/immigration functions. Non- SOFA status members can have their passport processed, by Government of Japan (GOJ) officials on either Monday or Tuesday at the Air Mobility Command (AMC) Passenger Terminal for Immigrations processing.

Can local nationals use the Patriot Express?
Yes, local nationals can utilize the PE who are eligible IAW DOD 4515.13R Travel Eligibility, they can either be in a space-A or duty status depending on their travel orders.

Can the Patriot Express be diverted for operational reasons like Space A can?
Yes, any mission can be diverted, but this action must be accomplished at the Headquarters AMC, Tanker Airlift Control Center (TACC).

Can you take pets on PE?
DOD guidelines dictate that pets are considered "dogs or cats" only. There is a finite number of pet spaces available for Misawa for pets in the cargo area that is temperature controlled and an allotted number of in-cabin pet spaces in the main cabin. These pet spaces are only available for those individuals who are in a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) status and on a first come, first served basis, please check with your local travel office via the Traffic Management Flight for pet bookings and applicable fees.

Pet restrictions: The kennel must be approved by the International Air Transport Association. Soft sided and collapsible kennels are not allowed for pets to travel in the belly compartment of the aircraft. Small pets traveling in the main cabin can be transported in soft sided (constructed of leak proof and water-repellent padded nylon with mesh ventilation on two or more sides) as well as hard plastic kennels. In cabin, kennels must not exceed 20"Lx16"Wx8"H. All pets must be able to lie down, stand up, and turn around in the kennel using normal posture and body movements. Pets will not be accepted for travel in kennels that are too small.

Do you have to be on leave to use the Patriot Express?
You must be on leave or in a pass status to travel space-A. Keep in mind that if you plan on traveling to Seattle, you will be charged a federal head tax and inspection fee of $35.00 (US Dollars). On flights to and from Osan there is no-charge.

How can service members use the Patriot Express?
Service members can utilize the PE for official travel or Space-A travel. For space-A selection, it will be organized and based by category and date/time of space available sign-up.

How many aircraft are in the route?
A single Boeing (B767) has been contracted by United States Transportation Command and Air Mobility Command to provide commercially -contracted airlift service to Misawa on Monday (Seattle-Misawa-Osan) and Tuesday (Osan-Misawa-Anchorage (temporary Fuel Stop)-Seattle).

If the aircraft is delayed, will it be delayed for the whole week?
Possibly, it depends on the situation causing the delay. Please contact the Misawa Passenger Terminal at 226-2370 for information on PE delays.

What benefit will service members receive from having the Patriot Express stop here?
Traveler(s) can leave directly from Misawa AB, instead of having to travel down to Tokyo to PCS, travel TDY and or deploy. People will also be able to transport their authorized pets on the PE out of Misawa, without having to transport them to Tokyo (Haneda or Narita International Airport). Any unused duty travel seats will become available for space available travelers. Fully utilizing the Patriot Express will save the Air Force and service member's money in travel expenses.

What is the Patriot Express used for, will people be riding it for deployments or is it for recreation?
The primary purpose of the Patriot Express is to be used by people who are in a duty travel status (PCS, TDY, or deploying). Any unused seats can be utilized by people traveling space available.

Where can we see the posted schedules?
Updated PE mission information is posted on the Base Television Channel 18 (Commander's Access Channel) or by visiting the AMC Passenger Terminal using the Flight Information Display System.

Who receives priority on the Patriot Express?
Those traveling on official duty orders (funded) receive priority.

Any unused seats are available for those who are traveling Space-A; they are selected by category and date/time of sign up.

1 - Unfunded emergency leave,
2 - Active duty and DOD civilians on EML leave orders,
3 - Active duty on normal leave, and House Hunting Leave (Permissive TDY)
4 - Dependents on EML leave,
5 - Command sponsorship letter leave, and any other permissive TDY,
6 - Retirees

Will the Misawa Patriot Express be used for operational missions?
No. The United States Transportation Command (USTRANSCOM) and Air Mobility Command (AMC) have contracted a commercial charter mission the Misawa PE to provided support to official duty travelers and their family members, which is routed from Seattle to Japan and onto Korea; mission routing is roundtrip.

Will the route change over time?
Yes, there is the possibility that a route change could happen over-time, but if this occurs it must be coordinated at HQ AMC and USTRANSCOM and it will be posted via the appropriate channels. Currently, there is no route change projected.

As a Reservist, where can I fly?
Reserve members with DD Form 2 (Red) identification and DD Form 1853 may fly to, from, and between Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and the CONUS. Additionally, when on active duty, members may fly anywhere overseas that AMC has flights operating.

As a retiree, where can I fly?
Retired members with DD Form 2 (Blue) identification card may fly anywhere AMC has flights operating, including the CONUS.

Can I fly on Space-A on other than AMC flights?
Yes. Your travel eligibility is for all DOD-owned or controlled aircraft. AMC does not always have knowledge of other command/services' flights.

Can I pay for excess baggage when flying space-available?
No. Only duty status passengers may pay for excess baggage.

Can I sign up remotely?
Yes. Remote sign-up allows passengers to enter the backlog by faxing copies of proper service documentation along with desired country destinations and family members first names to the aerial port of departure. The fax data header will establish date/time of sign-up; therefore, active duty personnel must ensure the fax is sent no earlier than the effective date of leave. Mail entries will also be permitted. The original date and time of sign-up shall be documented and stay with the passenger until his or her destination is reached. On reaching destination, the passenger may again sign up for space available travel to return to home station.

Can my pet travel with me on a Space-A flight?
No. DOD has reserved pet shipments for passengers in permanent change of station(PCS) status. Additionally, travel with pets would be difficult at best due to limited aircraft pet spaces, pet import documentation requirements, and the possibility of quarantine in the event of an aircraft divert.

Do I have to be in uniform to travel?
Each service determines their own travel uniform policies. When civilian clothing is worn, use common sense. Attire should be in good taste and not in conflict with accepted attire in the overseas country of departure, transit, or destination, as defined by the DOD Foreign Clearance Guide. It should also be capable of keeping you warm especially on military aircraft.

How do I contact AMC?
Phone: DSN (315) 226-2370; Comm: 011-81-3117-66-2370
Fax: DSN (315) 226-4455; Comm 011-81-3117-66-4455
Hours of Operation: 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m., M-F

How does the selection process work?
Travelers remain on the register for 60 days or the duration of their travel orders or authorization, whichever occurs first.

When you register, you are assigned a category of travel and compete for seats within categories based on the date and time of registration. This date and time of sign-up is yours through to destination; you will receive a new date and time when you register for your return travel.

Space required passengers or cargo may require the removal of Space A passengers at any point. If removed en route, you may re-register with your original date and time of registration. AMC passenger agents will assign a new date and time to any country you change or add on your application. Always be prepared to purchase onward or return commercial transportation, meals, and lodging.

How long does my name stay on the Space A list ?
All travelers remain on the register 60 days after registration, or for the duration of their travel orders authorization, or until they are selected for travel, whichever occurs first. Revalidation has been eliminated.

How many bags am I authorized?
Each passenger may check two pieces of checked baggage, 70 pounds each, up to 62 linear inches in size (length + width + height). Family members may pool their baggage allowances. Hand carried baggage must fit under the seat, up to 45 linear inches in size, or in the overhead compartment, if available.

Total weight limit on passenger baggage for C21 and C12 aircraft is 30 pounds. Hand carried and checked baggage combined.

Note: Baggage weight may be limited due to type of aircraft or other restrictions. Check with your Passenger Service Center for more information.

How many people are ahead of me on the Space-A register?
Each terminal maintains a Space-A register (organized by priority and the date and time of registration for travel) that is updated daily. The register is conveniently located in the terminal and directly accessible to you. Travelers may call the terminal direct to find where they stand travel wise.

Where and when can my family members travel with me?
Dependents of active duty members may travel within the continental United States when accompanying their sponsor on emergency leave or on permissive house-hunting trips incident to a permanent change of station move. Command sponsored dependents stationed overseas are allowed unaccompanied travel to, from, and within the overseas theater (in addition to environmental morale leave previously authorized). Travel restrictions may apply to certain overseas are as as determined by the unified commander.

Members traveling in non-command sponsored status must have documentation signed by their sponsor's commander verifying command sponsorship during their travels and show to air terminal personnel. This document is only valid for one round trip from the sponsor's duty location. Family members under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an eligible parent or legal guardian.

Who determines eligibility to fly Space A?
The four services jointly establish Space A eligibility. AMC's first responsibility is airlifting official DOD traffic. Space A passengers are accommodated only after official duty passengers and cargo.

Where can I find information about veterans' benefits online?
Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs Web site here.