Colonel Timothy J. Sundvall is the Commander of the 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa Air Base, Japan. He commands a combat-ready F-16CM fighter wing composed of nearly 3,100 personnel and sustains forces and facilities worth over $2 billion. Colonel Sundvall oversees a 13,000-person installation which supports eight associate units representing three U.S. military services (Air Force, Army and Navy) and the Japan Air Self-Defense Force.
Colonel Sundvall is from Sisters, Oregon, and graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 1992. He earned his pilot wings at Columbus Air Force Base, Mississippi, in December 1993 and was selected to fly the F 16. Colonel Sundvall has held a variety of positions at the squadron, wing, and major command level to include the Commander, 8th Operations Support Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea, and Commander, Joint Planning Support Element, Joint Enabling Capabilities Command, U.S. Transportation Command, Norfolk, Virginia. Prior to his current position, Colonel Sundvall served as the Vice Commander, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea, where he reported to the 7th Air Force commander for the wing' s conduct of conventional air-to-ground and air-to-air missions in support of armistice and wartime taskings.
Colonel Sundvall is a command pilot with more than 2,300 hours in the F-16 and T-37.
1992 Bachelor of Science degree in Operations Research, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado
2005 Master of Arts degree in Logistics Management, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson Air Force
2006 Master of Arts degree in Airpower Art and Science, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell Air
Force Base, Alabama
2012 Master of Science degree in National Resource Strategy, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort McNair,
1. 1995 - 1998, F-16 Pilot, Misawa AB, Japan
2. 1998 - 1999, F-16 Pilot, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
3. 1999 - 2002, T-37 Instructor Pilot, Columbus AFB, Mississippi
4. 2002 - 2004, F-16 Pilot, Cannon AFB, New Mexico
5. 2004 - 2005, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. 2005 - 2006, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Alabama
7. 2006 - 2008, Action Officer, Concepts, Strategy and Wargaming Division, A5XS, Headquarters Air Force, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
8. 2008 - 2009, Commander, 8th Operations Support Squadron, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
9. 2009 - 2011, Chief of Northeast Asia Plans, United States Pacific Command J54, Camp H. M. Smith, Hawaii
10. 2011 - 2012, Student, Industrial College of the Armed Forces, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
11. 2012 - 2013, Commander, Joint Planning Support Element, Joint Enabling Capabilities Command, U.S. Transportation Command, Norfolk, Virginia
12. 2013 - 2014, Vice Commander, 8th Fighter Wing, Kunsan AB, Republic of Korea
13. 2014 - present, Commander, 35th Fighter Wing, Misawa AB, Japan
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 2,300
Aircraft flown: F-16, T-37
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May, 27 1992
First Lieutenant May 27, 1994
Captain May 27, 1996
Major Nov. 1, 2002
Lieutenant Colonel Nov. 1, 2007
Colonel Sept. 1, 2013
(Current as of June 2014)