Colonel Terence T Cunningham IV is the Commander, 35th Medical Group, Misawa Air Base, Japan. He ensures maximum wartime readiness by operating a community based healthcare system maintaining the health, welfare and morale for over 9,000 beneficiaries through accessible, high quality healthcare. Col Cunningham commands and develops a group of 5 squadron commanders and 400 personnel in support of a 22 bed hospital with the capability of expanding to 75 beds during contingency operations.
Colonel Cunningham received a direct civilian commission into the Air Force in May 1995. He has served in multiple leadership roles at the flight, squadron and group level, to include Commander of the 49th Medical Support Squadron at Holloman AFB. His staff assignments include: Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Air Force Medical Element, Air Force Medical Support Agency, Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller), and as the Executive Officer to the 22nd Air Force Surgeon General.
Prior to this position, he was the Assistant Deputy Director for Strategic Medical Plans and Programs, Office of the Air Force Surgeon General, Headquarters United States Air Force. In this capacity, he directly advised the Air Force Surgeon General on all aspects of Planning, Programming, Budgeting and Execution for a $39B Defense Health Program, 44K personnel manpower program, and $6.1B annual budget supporting of the delivery of healthcare to 2.6M beneficiaries across 76 Medical Treatment Facilities worldwide.
1995 Bachelor of Architecture, Miami University, Oxford, Oh.
2000 Squadron Officers School (in-residence), Maxwell Air Force Base, Al.
2005 Master of Healthcare Administration, Ohio State University, Columbus
2006 Air Command and Staff College (correspondence)
2010 Air War College (correspondence)
1. June 1995 – June 1999, Regional Health Facilities Officer, Air Force Medical Element, Sam Nunn Federal Center, Atlanta, Ga.
2. June 1999 – August 2001, Project Health Facilities Officer, Air Force Medical Support Agency, Andrews AFB, Md. and Dover AFB, Del.
3. August 2001 – August 2003, Chief, Health Facilities Programming, Headquarters Air Force, Bolling AFB, D.C.
4. August 2003 – May 2005, Student, AFIT - Civilian Institute, Ohio State University, Columbus
5. June 2005 – October 2007, Flight Commander, Resource Management, and Administrator, 99th Medical Group, Nellis AFB, Nev.
6. October 2007 – April 2008, Group Practice Manager, Family Medicine Residency, 99th Medical Group, Nellis AFB, Nev.
7. April 2008 – September 2010, Senior Budget Analyst, Defense Health Program, Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller), Pentagon
8. September 2010 – June 2011, Deputy Director, Program Analysis & Evaluation Division, Headquarters United States Air Force, Rosslyn, Va.
9. June 2011 – June 2013, Commander, 49th Medical Support Squadron; Administrator, 49th Medical Group; and Deputy Commander, 49th Medical Group, Holloman AFB, N.M.
10. June 2013 – June 2015, Executive Officer, Air Force Surgeon General, Headquarters United States Air Force, Pentagon
11. June 2015 – June 2017, Assistant Deputy Director, Strategic Medical Plans and Programs, Headquarters United States Air Force, Falls Church, Va.
12. June 17 – present, Commander, 35th Medical Group, Misawa Air Base, Japan
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal (six oak leaf clusters)
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal (two oak leaf clusters)
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award (one oak leaf cluster)
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 23,1995
First Lieutenant May 23,1997
Captain May 23, 1999
Major January 1, 2005
Lt Colonel August 1, 2009
Colonel February 1, 2016
(Current as of June 17)